Three brothers arrested over murder of law student Aya Hachem, 19

Three more men have been arrested over the murder of a teenager shot dead as she walked to Lidl to shop for her family.

Law student Aya Hachem, 19, an innocent passer-by, was murdered in a drive-by shooting near her home in Blackburn, Lancashire, on Sunday.

She was hit by one of several shots fired from a car and died from a single wound to the chest, police said.

Detectives today arrested two men, aged 31 and 35, on suspicion of murder and a 29-year-old man on suspicion of assisting an offender.

On Monday, three other men, aged 33, 36 and 39, identified locally as brothers, were held and continue to be questioned on suspicion of Aya’s murder.

Feroz, Suhayl and Nadeem Suleman run R1 tyres which has three garages across Blackburn, including one next door the Quick Shine Car Wash, which Aya was walking in front of when she was shot.

Detectives believe the gunman may have been aiming at the Quick Shine Car Wash, The Sun reports.

Police believe Aya was not the intended target of the attack – a botched drive-by shooting.

The Lebanese-born teenager, a second year student at the University of Salford, died in hospital a short time after emergency services were called to the scene in King Street at around 3pm.

CCTV footage of the shooting shows a Toyota Avensis slow down in front of Aya before she collapses to the ground. Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but despite battling to save the teenager she was pronounced dead a short time later in hospital.

Her former headteacher at Blackburn Central High School, Diane Atkinson, told the BBC: ‘She fled a war-torn zone as a refugee and came to the UK looking for a better life.

‘She arrived with very little English and was soon inducted with BCHS, as we call ourselves, the family, and Blackburn.

‘And she was a very, very intelligent young lady who very, very quickly picked up the command of English and worked incredibly hard to become the very, very best person she could be.’

Reports have said that Aya’s body will be flown back to Lebanon for her burial.

Detective Superintendent Andy Cribbin said: ‘While we have now arrested a number of people as part of this investigation, our inquiries are very much ongoing and we continue to have a large team of officers and staff working around the clock to find out who was responsible for Aya’s death.

‘Our determination to get justice for her family remains undimmed. Our thoughts are very much with Aya’s loved ones and her family are being supported by specially trained officers.

‘I would like to thank those who have come forward to assist the investigation so far and I would continue to ask that anyone who has any information, however insignificant they may think it is, to get in touch.

‘This is an absolutely tragic loss of a young life and we need to find out what happened – you may hold the key to help us do that so please don’t hesitate to contact us.

‘We know a number of videos of the incident are on social media and it is important that, if people are aware of any footage, that they formally report this to us if they haven’t already done so as they are potential evidence.

‘We would also ask people, even if they are well intentioned, not to share these videos out of respect for Aya and her family.

‘Similarly, I would urge people not to speculate online about the cause of or motivation for the incident and to instead share what they know with us, as their information could prove vital.’

A number of people were travelling in the silver Toyota Avensis from which the shots were fired close to the Lidl store. The vehicle, with the registration number SV53 UBP, was abandoned a short time later in nearby Wellington Road and seized for forensic examination.

Any information or video footage can be sent in to police via its major incident portal online.